Creating knowledge and understanding through science equips us to find solutions to today's acute economic, social and environmental challenges and to achieving sustainable development and greener societies. As no one country can achieve sustainable development alone, international scientific cooperation contributes, not only to scientific knowledge but also to building peace.
Science policies are not enough. Science and engineering education at all levels and research capacity need to be built to allow countries to develop their own solutions to their specific problems and to play their part in the field of science and technology.
Linking science to society, public understanding of science and the participation of citizens in science are essential to creating societies where people have the necessary knowledge to make professional, personal and political choices, and to participate in the stimulating world of discovery. Indigenous knowledge systems developed with long and close interaction with nature, complement knowledge systems based on modern science.
Science and technology empower societies and citizens but also involve ethical choices. Scientific knowledge of the Earth's history and mineral resources, knowledge of ecosystems and biodiversity, and the interaction of humans with ecosystems are important to help us understand how to manage our planet for a peaceful and sustainable future.
- Help in formulation of policies relating to science and Technology.
- Promotion of new areas of science and technology with special emphasis on emerging areas.
- Research and development through research institutions or laboratories for development of indigenous technologies concerning Bio-Fuel production, processing standardization and applications.
- Research and development activities to promote utilization of By-products to develop value added chemicals
- Coordination and integration of areas of science and technology having cross-sect oral linkages in which a number of institutions have interest and capabilities.
- Undertaking or financially sponsoring scientific and technological surveys, research design and development, where necessary.
- Support and grants to scientific research institutions, scientific associations and bodies.
- Engineering research.
- Science and technology entrepreneurship development.
- International science and technology cooperation.
- Spatial data infrastructure and promotion of G.I.S.
- Management information systems for science and technology and coordination thereof.
- Matters concerning domestic technology particularly the promotion of ventures involving the commercialization of such technology.
- All measures needed for the promotion of science and technology and their application to development.
- Matters relating to Institutional Science and Technology capacity building, including setting up of new institutions and Institutional Infrastructure.
- Promotion of Science and Technology at the State, District and Village Levels for grass-root Development.
- Help in Registration and Recognition of Research and Development Units.
- To help evolve policies and integrated Programmes in Bio-Technology and ensure their implementation and monitoring.
- Evolve safety guidelines for Bio-Technology Research and Development.
Earth and Metrological Science –
- Matters of policy, coordination and schemes relating to the Ocean, Meteorology. Seismology, Marine Environment, Atmosphere and Earth Sciences.
- Research including Fundamental Research and Technology Development.
- Surveys to Map, Locate and assess Living and Non-Living Marine resources.
- Development of appropriate skills and manpower.
- International collaboration and cooperation.
- Marine Environment on the high seas